Monday, August 25, 2008

Prayer Request

June of 07 I had my 3rd knee surgery to replace the metal in my right knee with Kevlar, which I already had in my left knee. The physical therapist tore the kevlar apart a week after the surgery by stretching it too far, but we didn't know it at the time. I never recovered from the surgery and I started training with a trainer in February because I just thought I was really out of shape and that was why my knee was still hurting. I was running 30 minutes at a time and my knee never did get any stronger. I could leg press over 100 pounds with my left leg, and couldn't even do 5 pounds with my right, so I eventually went back to my surgeon for his opinion . He said there was a new procedure where they could put an anchor in my bone and it was virtually indestructable. I agreed to give it a shot. So, last Thursday, Brother and I ventured back to St. Vincents for my 4th and hopefully final surgery. Dr. Adkison gave Brother the pictures from my knee, and sure enough the last surgery he had done, had been totally ripped apart and here I was doing all this running on it. It's a wonder, I didn't damage it any worse than I did. He has now assured me that I will be able to run as much as I want when I recover. I won't know what to do when I can run without pain. I had gotten so used to the pain that it was normal to me. So, as I sit here with my leg properly elevated, watching Alvin and the Chipmunks with Rollins and Grady, I ask for your prayers--not for me, but for Rollins and Grady. For those of you that are close to us, you know about their vomitting problems. For Rollins, this has been going on since she was 9 months old. In the past 2 1/2 years she has gained 7 pounds--that's it. She looks great and normal, but she can still wear a size 12-18 months in pants. When Rollins was born, she stayed in the 100th percentile until she got sick. Now she is in about the 10th. Grady's vomitting started in June. It's only been two months and he already has an umbilical hernia from the strain. It breaks my heart to see them have to go through this. Neither one of them want to eat because they know what will happen. Together they go through an average of 9 gallons of milk a week. This is where they get the bulk of their nutrition. They also enjoy eating popsicles. Grady's rib's have already started poking out and he has gone from the 50th percentile to the 10th as well. They are both being scoped Wednesday morning at Huntsville's Womens and Childrens hospital. This is also Brother's birthday. Neither one of us want them to be scoped, but we know that it's the only way we can help them. Rollins voice has changed and become scratchy, so they are checking for damage to her esophogus as well. Hopefully, it's something they can grow out of and we can all rest at night knowing they are ok. In the meantime, please keep them in your prayers. I will keep everyone updated on the results.

4 comments:

Tegan said...

I will pray for your kiddos and your knee as well. Take Care!

Darby said...

Crystal, I got your comment but don't have your email address. If you will email me at darby613@gmail.com I'll fill you in on the embroidery blanks questions!!

Heather said...

Crystal,
I am so glad to be connected to you through your blog. Thank you so much for the encouraging words you left me. You are a wonderful mom yourself and it's evident to anyone around you. I am so sorry to hear about all yall are going through. We will be praying for you all and we are anxious to hear the results. Isaiah 26:3
Blessings!
Heather Sachs

Anonymous said...

Crystal,
We are praying for you and the kids. We had no idea this was all going on!! I washed my phone in March and lost your mom and Dad's phone #'s. I too am having knee surgery. I have a torn meniscus, but do not expect any complications. Take care and please be in touch!
Love,
Marla