Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

I have so been looking forward to Mother's Day. Rollins has been telling me Happy Mother's Day all week. So, Saturday we had a babysitter come (this was the first time either of the kids had ever seen her, so I was nervous how they would react, but they were both asleep when we left) and we went to dinner with Kate, Stewart, Tim, Foster, Tim and Darla. It was so nice getting to get out without the kids. We never got a call from Haley, the babysitter, so we just assumed the kids were still asleep, because I knew it would probably freak them out to see a stranger in their house and no mom or dad, so we went to the boathouse after dinner. We got home about 10 and they were both awake and happy as could be. Rollins felt a little warm and by the time we got into bed, she was running over 103 fever. We put medicine in her juice and when we woke up the next morning, it was still 102.9, so we skipped out on church. I was really sad because I always love the mother's day sermon. It makes me feel good and I really needed it right now. Anyway, we gave Rollins more medicine and about two hours later it was just like the light turned on. She sat up and wanted to get a shower, and I thought she was over her little spell, so we got ready and decided to meet my family for lunch. We got to the restaurant and Rollins wouldn't even talk to anyone and for those of you who have been around her--that is totally out of character. She kept her head on my shoulder the whole time and I could tell she was running a really high fever. We couldn't figure out what was going on and Dr. Nixon said as long as she was drinking plenty of fluids, she should be ok. Her fever ended up at 104.2. Brother and I were both scared to death, so we got her a suppository (she had to have them when she had pneumonia and they worked pretty well) she slept til 4:30 and once again she woke up in a great mood, so we decided to attend Senior Sunday for Whitney at church. I have never been more proud of my daughter as I was this night. She usually spends church in the nursery, but there wasn't one, so I was anxious to see how she would do. She stacked the song books and sat on them right between me and my grandmother. She sang with us even though I had no idea what she was saying and she would put her arms around us and lean over and kiss us. After we sang "The Greatest Command" (which was sung at our wedding) she said out loud where everyone heard her--"Mom, that was a great song!" Everyone just laughed. Rollins truly is an extraordinary child. she has such a huge heart and she knows just what to say when someone is feeling down and she is only 2. I have babysat and taught so many children, and I have never seen anyone like her--she is truly a gift from God. I honestly believe God sent her here as an angel on earth. She senses when I am having a bad day and she will come to me and say, "mom, it breaks my heart to see you sad, I love you! and it's going to be ok" and then give me a kiss and wrap her arms around me and hold me. If every child could be like her, this world would be such a better place. But back to Mother's Day, we watched a video of the seniors growing up and Whitney had pictures of Jim and Mary. When they came up on screen, I told Rollins, there is your grandfather or there is your grandmother, and it felt so strange to me, because she has no idea who I am talking about, and I don't even have any stories to tell about them. It really makes me sad, because I know how much Bother loved them and how much he wishes they could have seen Rollins and Grady. They meant so much to Capper, Whit, Jim, Whitney and Katie, and they get to have all these memories to take with them, and our children never even got to meet them. I know it really bothers Brother, and I just wish so badly that somehow, God could let them meet. They truly were wonderful people and I want Rollins and Grady to know that.
So, even though Mother's Day was filled with sickness, it was a blessing. I am constantly reminded of how wonderful my life is and how lucky I am to have the most precious children in the world. They have given me joy beyond anything I could have ever imagined and it just keeps getting better. I just pray that I can be a loving and supportive mother to them for the rest of my life, and maybe, just maybe, they can one day look back, and say, "I had the best mom in the world and I know she loved me". If that can happen, then my work here is done and I will feel like I have lived a complete life.

No comments: