Wednesday, December 3, 2008

What were they thinking?

Tonight, Brother, Grady and I went to dinner at a local eatery and I noticed a very pregnant woman come in--atleast 8 months along--she was alone and told the waitress she was meeting a friend. The waitress asked her if she could go ahead and get her something to drink. She ordered a glass or water and a corona. I thought I was going to fall out of the bench. I couldn't even get it out of my mouth to tell Brother. What in the world was this pregnant lady thinking, or even more so--what was the waitress thinking who gave her the bottled corona? Her friend later came in and also ordered a beer. When the waitress came to check on them, she asked if there was anything else they needed and the pregnant woman said, "yeah, a cigarette". I am still in total amazement as I sit here and type this. It's one thing to do this in the privacy of your home, but how in the world can it be legal for a public establishment to serve alcohol to a pregnant person? Is there not some law against this? Anyway, I couldn't help but overhear her telling her friend about her recent doctor's appointment where her doctor told her that her baby seemed to be distressed. I would be distressed to if I knew I was coming into this world to a mother like that. Does she think the corona and cigarette would take the baby's stress away? Ok sorry to go off on a rampage about drinking pregnant women. I just get so frustrated with all the careless and irresponsible people having babies when there are wonderful people out there trying so hard to conceive a child that they would love more these other people could ever imagine. It just doesn't seem fair sometimes.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

So I've been lurking your blog for sometime. Glad you added me to your blogroll and I'll do the same!

Also I love, love, love the pics your parents did of my girls. I'm having such a hard time choosing:)